San Rafael Flood Fair
Saturday 3/24, 11am – 4pm
Come to Flood Fair 1
50 Canal St. San Rafael, CA 94901
Exhibits Open Through Sunday March 25th 4pm
- Learn about the flooding challenges we face as a community
- Meet people who want to be part of the solution
- Tell us what flooding means to you and your family
- Express your views, concerns, and hopes for a resilient San Rafael
- Meet the Flood Mobile
- Explore some preliminary ideas to get the creative juices flowing!
- See young students’ work on the challenge
- Sign up for bike, walking and kayak tours and upcoming events
What it’s About:
Bringing the community together to explore design solutions for flooding, earthquake risk and adapting to higher seas along the shore and Canal in East and in Central San Rafael.
The Flood Fair is an exciting part of Bionic Team’s Collaborative Design Phase to reach out to San Rafael residents for your ideas. The team will be introducing a Flood Mobile van that will travel around San Rafael to share with the entire community how flooding affects everyone and everything. A number of additional activities will occur in March and April to bring the San Rafael community together to understand the situation, express concerns and ideas and explore solutions. Planned outcomes include a suite of design ideas to form a foundation for a future “deeper dive” community-based resilience plan for central and east San Rafael.
Please join Resilient by Design, the Bionic Team, Canal Welcome Center/Shore Up Marin and Resilient Shore, Y-PLAN and Youth-In-Arts for ice cream on the 24th. Let’s begin the conversation about choosing the resilient future we want for San Rafael and our bay shore.
The Flood Fair is part of the Resilient by Design San Rafael Collaborative Design Challenge:
San Rafael is one of ten sites around the Bay Area included in the Resilient by Design Bay Area Challenge, a year-long collaborative design challenge to help Bay Area communities improve their resilience to flooding, natural disasters and rising seas.
- Learn more about the Resilient by Design Bay Area Challenge at: www.resilientbayarea.org
The Bionic Team including Bionic Landscape, WXY Studio, and PennDesign are working with the San Rafael community to prepare a suite of design ideas for San Rafael’s low-lying East and Central San Rafael valley. The Bionic Team began the challenge asking, “Where in the Bay Area can our expertise help?” And now matched with San Rafael, they’ve been asking residents “What needs to be done and where are we starting from?”
- The team has been interviewing key stakeholders within the community and has partnered with the Canal Welcome Center, Shore Up Marin, Resilient Shore, Y-PLAN and Youth in Arts on broad community outreach and engagement.
- We are here to start a community conversation about choosing the resilient future we want for San Rafael communities and the bay shore.
- Learn more about the Bionic Team at: www.resilientbayarea.org/san-rafael
We can’t wait to see you at Pickleweed Park on Saturday, March 24th!
Copyright © 2018, Resilient Shore. All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
828 Mission Ave., San Rafael CA 94901