The Coalition would like to thank those of you who completed the recent on-line transit assessment survey for East San Rafael. We had an excellent response rate.
Marin Transit tabulated the results and found the following:
- There was a total of 467 responses, of which 459 indicated a home location in or around East San Rafael.
- 36% of respondents indicated that they are retired or unemployed.
- About 30% of respondents use the ferry, including 20% that are employed either part- or full-time and 10% that are retired or unemployed.
- 23% of the ferry users take the ferry regularly (4-6 days per week), and all of those respondents indicated that they are employed either part- or full-time.
- About 11% of respondents use Golden Gate Transit regional buses, including 8.5% that are employed either part- or full-time.
- Over 90% of respondents who use transit get to the bus stop or ferry terminal by driving or getting dropped off.
- The most common places that respondents wanted transit to serve included East San Rafael, downtown San Rafael (including the Transit Center), the ferry, San Francisco, and schools.
Marin Transit staff plans to present the results of the survey to their Board at their May meetings along with some considerations and options for providing future transit service to East San Rafael. It is important to understand that currently there is no funding identified for this service. Marin Transit is also sharing the results of the survey with Golden Gate Transit to see if there are opportunities for them to provide some transit service to our area.
Please keep in mind, that if funding is identified to provide some new transit service in East San Rafael, there would be a public outreach and information process including discussions with East San Rafael residents regarding routes, parking and other logistical issues.
Once the Marin Transit Board meeting date is set, I will send out a reminder notice.
Chairman, Roadway Committee
Point San Pedro Road Coalition