Members of the Point San Pedro Road Coalition’s Roadway Committee met with City Staff on Friday, September 5 and received the following information pertaining to the San Pedro Road median landscaping:
- The growth of plants on most of the medians are proceeding as planned.
- Most plants are receiving adequate water from the underground irrigation system. The City and it’s maintenance contractor, Foster-Kroeger, are monitoring the watering situation.
- Recent soil testing results show that in areas where there are plant growth problems, the use of various types of fertilizers will greatly improve soil condition. and thus the growth of the plants. This is especially true of the medians in front ofGlenwood.
- Some of the plants, especially the new trees on the Glenwood medians are having their growth impeded because the dust thrown on their leaves from the street sweepers who clean that part of the road on a daily basis.
- Fertilization requires overhead water and because of the drought situation, fertilization cannot occur until sometime this Fall when hopefully we get some rain. Once we do get rain, Forster- Kroeger will mobilize and get the fertilization done.
- New and replacement plants are scheduled to be planted in January and February of next year after the fertilization has been done and there is adequate rain to help the plants with their initial growth.
- The new plants will be chosen by City staff in consultation with the Roadway Committee from a list of those existing median plants that are thriving.
- Foster-Kroeger is scheduled to trim the ficus plants on the wall between Beach and Main Drive on Saturday, September 20.
- Foster- Kroeger is scheduled to trim back the grass plants on the medians in November.
- The City is continuing to monitor the drought conditions and related water restrictions. City staff will consult with Roadway Committee on strategies to address watering restrictions should it become necessary.
The Roadway Committee will provide additional updates to residents as information becomes available.
Chairperson, Roadway Committee
Point San Pedro Coalition